David Fincher

/
0 Comments


Quick facts:
- Nicknames -
Finch & Davey
- -
 Born 1962, Colorado, USA
 57 wins and 96 nominations
 1 Primetime Emmy Award
 1 BAFTA Award
 1 Golden Globes
 Director

- - - -


"Almost all of his camera compositions are static or highly controlled camera movement and he rarely uses a handheld camera. Interestingly his films often include a single handheld scene, or in The Social Network (2010) and Gone Girl (2014) exactly one handheld shot."


Fincher entered the film and television industry from an early age. Already from age 18, he started working at Korty Films for John Korty. He then went on to work for Industrial Light and Magic, before he eventually left to direct commercials and music videos in Hollywood. 

He founded a company called Propaganda with some fellow directors like Dominic Sena, Greg Gold and Nigel Dick. David has done work as a director for a bunch of different companies like Nike, Coca-cola, Levi´s, Converse, Chanel a.s.o. As well as directed music videos for The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Iggy Pop, Aerosmith's as well as Madonna and many more.

Other than directing music video's for great artists and commercial for huge companies, David also direct films. He has directed some of, what I think I´ll admit is, the most memorable films in the time of great films. To be mentioned the classic Fight Club (1999), daunting The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011) and let's not forget about the creation of how Facebook came to exist, The Social Network (2010). 

Fight club - 1999

The Social Network - 2010

In the beginning, of his career, he worked on some films that didn't exactly struck in all positive aspects. Like the much-criticized Alien 3 in 1992, where it took him three years before the film Seven/Se7en brought him critical approval and he got accepted in the industry. For David, this was only the beginning of an influential and splashy career. 


The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 2011

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is one of the most powerful films I have seen. It is so raw, real, horrible and yet he manages to delicately present it in a beautiful way. This is a film that has really scarred me for life, and I will never forget its storyline or title in a million years. 

- -

"As a director, film is about how you dole out the information so that the audience stays with you when they're supposed to stay with you, behind you when they're supposed to stay behind you, and ahead of you when they're supposed to stay ahead of you."
- David Fincher

Gone Girl - 2014

I did not realize up until now when I have had the opportunity to properly research him and his work, that he is behind some of the most memorable films I have enjoyed very much as an audience myself. Let's take Fight Club for an instance, I had the opportunity to re-create a scene from this film earlier on in my studies, and it's a classic that I believe any film lover have watched at some point. 


Most usually in David´s films, there is a certain atmosphere or tone to the mise en scene. He has a particular style that he uses to express his own style, and to create a certain mood to the film. His director style has developed over the years, but I believe David has always known himself how he sees the film universe, and how he wish to portray it. He has earlier said that "To me, I'm always interested in movies that scar." Where he refers to the fact of a film, leaving a scar with you. "The thing I love about Jaws (1975) is the fact that I've never gone swimming in the ocean again." This is something he as a director has made use of in his own films, where for example in "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" he uses this as a tool to reach out to the audience in a  way that is quite interesting. 

I really respect and appreciate David Fincher´s work, and I must say that directorial vise he truly inspires me when it comes to setting the tone, mood and overall style of the films he directs. And I want to bring that with me, into my own directions unit. And be aware and sure of what style, mood, and tone I set in my own work. As well as also using Fincher as an inspiration when it comes to standing up, not giving up, and working hard to achieve what it is you want to do. 


- - - 
//Images
David Fincher - google.com
//Sources of information


You may also like

No comments:

Television by Ida Frank. Powered by Blogger.